Student Employment

Working on Campus

Working on campus is a great way to earn money and get valuable work experience while building your network on campus. Students often learn about the many support services, student activities and events through their work.

Eligibility for and Types of Work Study Funds

Eligibility for Work Study Funds

  • Students must file the FAFSA
  • Enrolled at least part-time (6 credits or more)
  • Classified by the Registrar’s Office as an undergraduate student

Types of Work Study Funds

  • Federal – awarded to Colorado and out-of-state (non-resident) students with demonstrated financial need based on the FAFSA.
  • Colorado-Need – awarded to Colorado residents students only with demonstrated financial need based on the FAFSA.
  • Colorado No-Need – awarded to Colorado residents only without regard to financial need.
  • Mines – awarded to Colorado residents only without regard to financial need.
Awarding of Work Study and Waitlists

Filing the FAFSA by the priority deadline is not a guarantee of being awarded work study funds.  Work study funds are limited and are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.  Students that receive an award must have a contract on file in Human Resources by September 30th.  Awards will be canceled and re-awarded to students on the waitlist after October 1st.  The deadline for spring only awards is March 1st.  Awards will be canceled after that date.

Students may earn up to the total amount of their work study award.  However, total earnings depend on the hours worked, which may not total the work study award amount.

Students interested in being placed on the work study waitlist should contact Emails must come from the student’s Mines account and include name and Campus-Wide ID Number(CWID).

Getting a Job and Getting Paid

Getting a Job
Students may not work prior to the first day of classes of the fall term or after the last day of the spring term if their contract uses work study funds.

Work study jobs are not assigned. Students may search for campus opportunities through Workday (found at

Students at Mines who elect to work on campus typically work 10 hours or less per week. Because campus employers are aware that the course of study is rigorous, and academics is a student’s first priority, work hours are typically flexible.

Hire Documents
New student employees must complete hiring documents with Human Resources. All students must complete an employment contract each year through Workday. Work with your supervisor when you are hired or returning to work on the process to complete these requirements.

Getting Paid
Students are paid on the 15th and the last working day of each month. Hours worked must be submitted through Workday no later than the day following a pay date to be processed in time for the next pay date.

Forms and Pay Grades

Checking your Work Study Earnings

In Trailhead you can see:

  1. If you have been offered work study
  2. What type of work study you have been offered (Federal, Colorado Need, Colorado No-Need, or Mines
  3. How much work study you have earned as of your last paycheck date

To see your work study offer and type, go to Trailhead>Financial Aid>View your Aid

To see how much work study you have earned go to Trailhead>Financial Aid>View your Aid>Financial Aid History>Scroll down to “Work.” This will show you each aid year and semester. Because work study is an annual award, you’ll want to look at the totals at the bottom of each aid year (like 2023-2024 in the image below).

Contact Info

Mailing address:
Colorado School of Mines
Financial Aid Office
1301 19th Street
Golden, CO 80401

Office Location:
Ben Parker Student Center, E160
1200 16th St
Golden, CO 80401 

Summer Walk-In Hours:
Monday through Friday
9am - 4pm

Toll-free: 1-888-446-9489

For scholarship questions, email

Request an appointment

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Download Forms

Students Right to Know

More information:

For billing issues contact: Bursar's Office 303-273-3158

For health insurance waivers contact: Student Health Insurance 303-273-3388

For College Opportunity Fund contact: Registrar's Office 303-273-3200

For information on Veteran Affairs contact: Registrar's Office 303-273-3200