Graduate Student Loan Programs


Origination Fees
1.069% origination fee for loans with a first disbursement date before October 1, 2018.

Interest rates

Annual Loan Limits

  • Minimum: $100.00
  • Maximum: $20,500.00

Loan Counseling
All first-time borrowers must complete loan entrance counseling prior to the disbursement of funds

Repayment Terms
Repayment begins six months after graduation or dropping below half-time enrollment. Minimum payment: $50/month, maximum of ten years to repay.  Complete terms of the loan can be found on Disclosure Statement for Federal Direct Loans.

Graduate students are only eligible for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan; they are not eligible for the Direct Subsidized Loan.

Loan repayment estimator



  • Student must complete the FAFSA.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time; 4.5 credits or 4.0 credits if you are advanced to candidacy.
  • Student must be able to pass a credit check.  This loan is a credit-worthy loan. Students with adverse credit may apply, but must have a co-signer.

Origination Fees
4.276% origination fee for loans with a first disbursement date before October 1, 2018.

Interest Rate

Annual Loan Limits

  • Cost of Attendance minus all other aid

  • Minimum: $100.00

Repayment Terms
Repayment of the PLUS loan begins 60 days after the second disbursement, which is approximately late February for full academic year loans for Mines students.  Minimum monthly payment is $50.00, maximum of ten years to repay.  Loan deferments are available; contact your loan servicer for additional information.

Loan Application


Scholarships:  You are encouraged to continue applying for outside scholarships throughout your education career.  Mines will accept scholarships as long as you are enrolled.  

Private Loan: You may borrow a private education loan for education-related expenses.  Generally this loan would come from a bank or from an education loan provider and may require a creditworthy cosigner.  Mines does not have a preferred provider list.  

Payment Plan or 529 College Savings Plan:  Our Bursar’s Office offers a payment plan where monthly payments can be made for your bill.  View the Bursar’s Payment Option site for more information.

Keeping your financial aid

Graduate Students A student must make satisfactory progress toward the completion of their course of study in order to maintain eligibility for financial assistance in future semesters. A student is considered to be making satisfactory progress if he or she has:

  • successfully completed a minimum of 9 credit hours each semester, not including Field Term or Summer Session:
  • if enrolled for less than 9 credit hours, they must pass all of the credit hours for which they have enrolled;
  • maintained a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA.

As stated in the Mines Graduate Catalog, PRG and NC grades count toward successful completion of credits.

Upon completion of a graduate degree program and enrollment in another degree program, students will begin a new SAP status of "pass," e.g., MS to PhD program.

If a student does not meet the two requirements, he or she will receive a warning via Mines email and will have one additional semester of eligibility in which to return to satisfactory standing. If the student has not returned to satisfactory standing after this additional semester, he or she will be ineligible for further financial assistance until the satisfactory progress standards are met. In addition, if students withdraw from all courses during a semester, or receive grades of all F or PRU, their eligibility for further assistance will be immediately terminated.

Mitigating Circumstances
When mitigating circumstances occur, such as prolonged illness, a death in the immediate family, etc., the student may appeal in writing to the Office of Financial Aid. The Appeals Committee will act on the appeal in a timely manner, and if approved, financial assistance eligibility may be reinstated for one final probationary semester after which the student must have returned to satisfactory standing. If students who have previously been placed on termination subsequently fail to meet either of the two standards, future eligibility will be immediately terminated. The student may also appeal this termination. A student may appeal the termination of eligibility only twice during his or her career at Mines.