Applying for Aid

Apply for Financial Aid

At Mines, we award financial aid based on merit and financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Last academic year over $27.9 million of financial assistance was awarded.  Typically more than 85% of the student body receives some form of aid, which includes scholarships, grants, loans or work study employment.

Click here for information about Summer financial aid.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA determines your eligibility for grants, loans, work study, and need-based scholarships. For full financial consideration, your FAFSA must be on file in our office by the respective priority deadlines shown below.  The FAFSA form is completed on

Click here for more information about the changes coming to the 2024-2025 FAFSA.

Click here to understand how the FAFSA impacts your financial aid award.

NOTE: You will need to file the FAFSA every year to be considered for financial aid.

Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA)

For students who do not have lawful immigration status but have resided in Colorado for at least three years before graduating from a Colorado high school, you may complete a Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA).  The CASFA determines your eligibility for state and institutional aid. For full financial consideration, your CASFA must be on file in our office by the respective priority deadlines shown below.  The CASFA form for an upcoming academic year is currently available HERE.

NOTE: You will need to file the CASFA every year to be considered for financial aid.

Application Deadlines

New First-Year/Transfer students
For 2024-2025
The Department of Education has delayed FAFSA processing into March. There are also lingering issues with signatures for many students and parents. Your overall financial aid eligibility will not be impacted by not meeting the priority deadline. Our goal is to get information to you about financial aid eligibility as soon as we can for those making college decisions. If possible, we recommend submitting the FAFSA by March 1 so your information will be delivered to Mines as soon as possible. We will not limit federal, state, or institutional grants based on this deadline.

Returning students
For 2024-2025
, continuing students should still submit their FAFSA no later than April 1. We understand there are issues with signatures for many students and parents. We are able to be flexible with the priority deadline. Stay tuned or reach out with specific questions!

Steps to Apply for Aid

Click here for information about summer financial aid.

Step 1 There are big changes coming to the FAFSA! 

  • Parents and the student should apply for a FSA ID so the student’s FAFSA can be “signed” electronically. Married parents will EACH need their own FSA ID. Only one parent in a divorce situation needs an FSA ID, but if they are remarried, the current spouse will also need an FSA ID. 
  • File the FAFSA online at The FAFSA will be available by the end of December 2023. Check for more information. The FAFSA is typically processed within 3-5 business days.  Because the FAFSA uses prior-prior year tax information, your should be able to do the IRS data retrieval to upload your income information directly into the FAFSA. 
  • List Colorado School of Mines’ school code (001348) in the ‘School Section’ of FAFSA so we receive your data electronically.

Step 2

You will receive an email notification from the Department of Education confirming that your FAFSA has been processed.  Please be sure to read the entire email as the errors will appear toward the end. These errors may delay the processing of your financial aid award.  Please contact our office if you have any questions.

Step 3

Freshman/Transfer students
By May you will receive your financial aid award letter in the mail if your FAFSA was filed by the priority deadline.  You will also receive an email when your awards are available to view on Trailhead.  The award letter notifies you of the types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive at Mines.  Instructions on how to accept or decline your financial aid, along with instructions on how to apply for loans, will be sent in early June.

Returning students
By mid-June you will be able to access your Trailhead account and review the types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive for the upcoming academic year.  If student loans are included with your financial aid package you will be able to accept, decline or reduce the amounts through your Trailhead account.  Award letters will not be mailed.

Step 4

Be sure to pay attention to information received by the Financial Aid Office, especially from  Emails will be sent to the student’s Mines email account if additional documentation is required.

Types of Aid


Scholarships are a type of financial aid that you earn through merit, athletics, application, or enrollment in a program (like ROTC).  They can come from Mines or from outside sources, but all scholarships are considered financial aid.  Visit our scholarship page for more information.  

Work Study

Mines’ work study program provides funding for part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay their educational expenses.


grant is a form of financial aid that does not need to be repaid based on your FAFSA each year.  If you are eligible for grant aid, your package may include a combination of federal, state, and institutional grants.


loan is a form of financial aid that must be repaid, with interest.  If you or your parents are interested in any type of loan we recommend completing the FAFSA first so our office can provide you with the best loan options.

Contact Info

Mailing address:
Colorado School of Mines
Financial Aid Office
1301 19th Street
Golden, CO 80401

Office Location:
Ben Parker Student Center, E160
1200 16th St
Golden, CO 80401 

Summer Walk-In Hours:
Monday through Friday
9am - 4pm

Toll-free: 1-888-446-9489

For scholarship questions, email

Request an appointment

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Download Forms

Students Right to Know

More information:

For billing issues contact: Bursar's Office 303-273-3158

For health insurance waivers contact: Student Health Insurance 303-273-3388

For College Opportunity Fund contact: Registrar's Office 303-273-3200

For information on Veteran Affairs contact: Registrar's Office 303-273-3200