Financial Aid News for Students and Parents

Subscribe to our Newsletter

A few times a semester, we send out important information regarding deadlines, financial aid opportunities, and financial aid changes. You don’t want to miss these important announcements!

Contacting our office

Anytime you contact our office via email, phone, or in person, please have the student’s CWID (Campus Wide ID, pronounced “quid”) ready so we may assist you.  If the student is not the one contacting us, we will be able to answer most general questions but will be limited in what we can say about the student’s specific account.  If the student contacts us through email, we will only respond to a email address.

8 am–5 pm

While we try to answer questions from parents and family members as well as we can, please understand most answers will have to go to the student.

Billing Information

The Bursars Office is in the process of billing students. Your first bill DOES NOT include any financial aid (no scholarships, grants or loans).  Financial aid will disburse by  Thursday, August 17 if all student requirements are met (not including work study contracts). 

Students should check their “current account balance” on Trailhead’s “My Account Page” on the first day of class to ensure financial aid has disbursed.  Outside scholarships will disburse when the check has been received. 

Students should check their “current account balance” AGAIN on census, September 5th, to ensure there haven’t been any changes to their account.  Payment is due the day after census every term.  Fall census is September 5th, so payment is due in full by September 6th unless you are on a payment plan. 

  • Health Insurance questions: Health Center 303-273-3381
  • College Opportunity Fund (COF): Registrar 303-273-3200
  • Questions on charges/payment plans: Bursar 303-273-3158

Important Dates

August 17:  Disbursement of financial aid to student bills  
August 21:  First day of class
September 5:  Census day (last day to drop/add class with billing change)
September 6:  Outstanding balance due unless you are on a payment plan
September 30:  Last day to complete all outstanding requirements for grants and work study 
October 1:  2018-2019 FAFSA becomes available using 2016 tax information.

Financial Aid Holds

Financial aid will not credit to a student’s account until all outstanding requirements are met, with the exception of work-study contracts.  Here are some reasons aid will not pay:

  • Enrollment: Students must also be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate students) for most forms of financial aid to disburse. 
  • Accepting Loans: Students must accept loans on Trailhead before they will disburse.  Before accepting loans, students must accept the “Terms and Conditions” on the previous tab in Trailhead.  First-time student loan borrowers must also complete Entrance Counseling at
  • Master Promissory Note:  First-time student and Parent PLUS loan borrowers must complete their respective Master Promissory Note at
  • Outstanding Requirements:  Students can find a list of outstanding requirements on Trailhead>self-service>financial aid>eligibility>2017-2018>student requirements. 

Scholarship Reporting

Students who have been awarded a scholarship from somewhere other than Mines are required to report the scholarship to Financial Aid.  For each scholarship received please complete this online form.  All outside scholarships will pay to student accounts once we receive the check.  Scholarship funds are split evenly between fall and spring unless the donor tells us otherwise.  

Awards are on Trailhead

We have awarded students for the 2017-2018 year, HOWEVER, some awards are missing, Athletic scholarships are awarded as we are notified. In July we will begin certifying Parent PLUS Loans so they will not be listed on the awards until we certify the loan.

Parent PLUS Loan Instructions

CLICK HERE for detailed loan application instructions.

If you plan to borrow a Parent PLUS Loan, you must request the loan and pass a credit check at  If you borrowed a PLUS Loan for 2016-2017, you must do a new request for 2017-2018.  For the loan application to be processed by Mines, you must request a specific dollar amount or choose “Maximum Loan Amount.”  The maximum dollar amount is listed on student’s Trailhead. 

The parent borrower does not need to be the parent on the FAFSA.  If this is your first parent PLUS loan for this student, the parent borrower must also complete a Master Promissory Note to borrow the loan. 

Outside Scholarship Reporting and Payment 

CLICK HERE to report outside scholarships.

Students are required to report outside scholarships to the financial aid office.  All reported scholarships will be listed in Trailhead under “Additional Resources” within 2 weeks of reporting.  If we have received the check it will say “Paid” with a zero amount on Additional Resources, but the amount will be listed on the Award Overview page.

Outside scholarship checks should include the student CWID for proper tracking. Checks should be mailed to:

Mines Financial Aid
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

Cost of Attendance 

The Award Overview in Trailhead lists student cost of attendance.  This includes full-time tuition (unless the student is graduating in December), room and board for housing either on-campus, off-campus, or with a parent, books, transportation, and personal expenses.  THIS IS NOT YOUR BILL.  Students are charged for the credits they take and living on-campus.  All other components are used for financial aid budgeting to allow families to borrow more than their tuition bill to pay for other living arrangements and books.    

Contacting a financial aid counselor

We divide our student population among three financial aid counselors based on the student’s last name:

Anytime you contact our office via email, phone, or in person, please have the student’s CWID (Campus Wide ID, pronounced “quid”) ready so we may assist you. If the student is not the one contacting us, we will be able to answer most general questions but will be limited in what we can say about the student’s specific account. If the student contacts us through email, the student should use their Mines email address as we will only respond to a address.

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office
  Ben Parker Student Center
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401
  FAX: 303-384-2252
Toll-free: 1-888-446-9489

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Download Forms

More information:

For billing issues contact: Student Receivables Office 303-273-3158

For health insurance waivers contact: Health Center 303-273-3388

For College Opportunity Fund contact: Registrar’s Office 303-273-3200

For information on Veteran Affairs contact: Registrar’s Office 303-273-3200