We divide our student population among three financial aid counselors based on the student’s last name:

Anytime you contact our office via email, phone, or in person, please have the student’s CWID (Campus Wide ID, pronounced “quid”) ready so we may assist you. If the student is not the one contacting us, we will be able to answer most general questions but will be limited in what we can say about the student’s specific account. If the student contacts us through email, the student should use their Mines email address as we will only respond to a @mymail.mines.edu address.