Apply for Financial Aid
At Mines, our awarding policy gives priority to the neediest students, as determined by the FAFSA. Last academic year over $27.9 million of financial assistance was awarded. Typically more than 85% of the student body receives some form of aid, which includes scholarships, grants, loans or work study employment.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - New and Renewal for 2017-2018
The FAFSA determines your eligibility for grants, loans, work study, and need-based scholarships. For full financial consideration your FAFSA must be on file in our office by the respective priority deadlines shown below. The FAFSA form for an upcoming academic year is currently available at FAFSA.gov.
NOTE: You will need to file the FAFSA every year to be considered for financial aid.
We must receive a complete, processed FAFSA in our office no later than March 1, 2017 for priority consideration for the 2017-2018 school year. Filing your FAFSA by February 15th should provide our office with the results by our priority deadline.
We must receive a complete, processed FAFSA in our office no later than April 1, 2017 for priority consideration for the 2017-2018 school year. Filing your FAFSA by March 15th should provide our office with the results by our priority deadline.
- One parent and the student should apply for a FSA ID so the student's FAFSA can be "signed" electronically.
- After October 1, 2016, file the FAFSA or renewal FAFSA online at FAFSA on the Web. It is typically processed within 3-5 business days. If your taxes have not been completed, estimate your income to meet our priority deadline dates.
- List Colorado School of Mines' school code (001348) in the 'School Section' of FAFSA on the Web so we receive your data electronically.
- You will receive an email notification from the Department of Education confirming that your FAFSA has been processed. Please be sure to read the entire email as the errors will appear toward the end. These errors may delay the processing of your financial aid award. Please contact our office if you have any questions.
By mid-March you will receive your financial aid award letter if your FAFSA was filed by the priority deadline. The award letter notifies you of the types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive at Mines. Instructions on how to accept or decline your financial aid, along with instructions on how to apply for loans, will be sent in early June.
- Returning students:
By late-May you will be able to access your Trailhead account and review the types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive for the upcoming academic year. If student loans are included with your financial aid package you will be able to accept, decline, or reduce the amounts through your Trailhead account.
- Be sure to pay attention to information received by the Financial Aid Office, especially from email@example.com. Emails will be sent to the student's Mines email account if additional documentation is required.